The Canberra Region Medical Education Council (CRMEC) has been established by the Minister for Health, as a Ministerial Management Council.
The CRMEC role is to act as a Postgraduate* Medical Council to:
- Perform accreditation functions of the intern training program within the ACT and linked regional networks
- Provide expert advice to the Minister for Health regarding the quality of education, training and welfare for junior medical officers within the ACT and linked regional networks
- Provide leadership in postgraduate medical education and training in the ACT and linked regional networks
- Undertake the accreditation and monitoring of individual junior medical officer terms and the clinical units, facilities and networks that support them using national and jurisdictional standards, with a focus on:
- Accreditation and monitoring of terms for prevocational junior medical officers
- Developing training standards and accreditation processes for prevocational junior medical officers
- Identify, evaluate, monitor and promote medical education and training programs for junior medical officers and their educators in conjunction with key stakeholders.
*Postgraduate refers to doctors who have completed a medical degree
Upcoming Council Meetings
Next meeting in March 2021.
2021 meeting dates TBA.
Associate Professor Katrina Anderson – Chair, A/Professor of General Practice, Academic Unit of General Practice ANU Medical School
Jenny Berrill, Community representative
Dr Jamie Christie, Senior Staff Specialist, Emergency Medicine, Calvary Public Hospital Bruce
Dr Belinda Doherty, Director of Medical Services, Moruya Hospital
Professor Nicholas Glasgow, Emeritus Professor, Australian National University
Dr Carolyn Petersons, Deputy Director, Diabetes and Endocrinology, and Director of Diabetes, The Canberra Hospital
Dr Mechelle Smith, Senior Staff Specialist, Emergency Medicine, Calvary Public Hospital Bruce
Dr Eilidh Gilritchie, Junior Medical Officer
Dr Duncan Austin, Registrar
JMO Forum Chair (ex-officio Council member) – currently vacant
Intern Representative (ex-officio Council member) – currently vacant
Terms of Reference
The CRMEC is supported by the Secretariat
Associate Professor Emily Haesler
Phone: (02) 6205 9852 or (02) 6174 8707
Governance and Committees
- Supervisor Professional Development
- JMO Welfare & Professional Development
- Governance and Stakeholder Partnerships